Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bilateral?

Well I've given this a LOT of an thoughts... heres my list of Pros and Cons. My appointment with surgeon to discuss about going bilateral is on July 9th 4:15 ET.

PROS
* Same design as other implant.
* Work together and sound same.
* SAFE!!!
* Good chance of right ear (dominant ear) doing a LOT better than left ear.
* Music MIGHT sound better.
* Easier time localizing where sound's coming from. (I do so poorly at that LOL)
* Been around for 20 years.
* Do better at listening in noisy evironment.
* Higher score in Speech Discrimination test.
* Extra ear!
* Feeling of balance and full sound experience.
* Low failure rate with freedom implant.
* Familiar design and device.
* Possibility of right ear can tolerate more decibels gain so it have lower decibels in audiogram than my left ear. (lower than 30 db)
* Upgradeable.
* very effective.
* If right ear did become dominant again, it could be good thing. (Doing better job at listening)
* Give my right ear a chance to become useful again.

CONS
* Miss out future new design, technology, stem cells, whatever crazy medical stuff for deafness.
* Possibility of losing the music appreciation for heavy metal and rock.
* Killing the residual hearing.
* Surgery risks.
* Achy incision for long while.
* Possibility of it overpowering my left ear and uses right ear as 'main ear'.
* Wearing heavy processor on both ears.


I'm thinking, since the design of the CI I have now is proved to be safe and effective, I'd rather to have safest technolgy that is very effective over the new fancy technology or medical stuff in the future that will improve hearing, more natural sounds and more depth in hearing.... I'm DEAF! I wouldn't know what is natural as long its clear and understandable I'd think thats natural and normal for me. I Just dont want to have all those scary unknown and unnecessary risks involved with brand new CI design, Its like throwing yourself in the unknown with potential of having all those risks like eyes twitches, overstimulation, failure, ribbon style could accidently slice the cochlea wall? just everything too new and risky in future with no long term study on it or anything. So I'm thinking let get what is available now since its safe plus its upgradeable. so what you think?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Amy,

I understand that choosing to get a second implant is not an easy decision. My parents were very skeptical about my getting a second implant at first. I've been hearing bilaterally for four years, and I really enjoy hearing with two implants very much.

I have a research information on my website about the benefits of bilateral implants here - http://cochlearimplantonline.com/index2.php?bilateral

If you would like to ask me about anything, please feel free to ask! Let me know how the appointment goes with your surgeon!

Cyborg Queen said...

Hey Amy!
How did the appointment go???

Shari said...

Good luck on your decison for a second implant. It's not that easy.

Just letting you know that after the loooongg fight, (since Jan) I've finally got the green light from the insurance company and the CI surgery's on July 23. Yikes. Gotta stay busy so I can keep my mind off of it.

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Hello Amy! I just found your blog/vlog from a link on some of the other blogs I read. I admire you for standing up for what you believe about a decision you made for yourself to be implanted.

My stepdaughter, Amanda was just implanted July 14, 2008 and will be activated August 12, 2008, one week from today.

If you get a chance come visit my blog/vlog.
http://jenniferbrunoconde.blogspot.com/

Jennifer :-)

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Amy,
I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Hearing Loss & Deafness Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

~Julie Ann~ said...

Amy, I just saw your vlog and I really want your permission to post it over on my blog and link to it. I just got a cochlear implant too and I really was amazed by the things you were saying. You have a strong sense of yourself, like I do. I would also like permission to use your video in a documentary I am working on about cochlear implants.

Concerning a second implant, I too have thought about getting one but I feel more comfortable getting familiar with sounds and voices first. You had some residual hearing, so you have an advantage over me. I have always been completely deaf all my life.

You can email me cuemommy (at) gmail. com (I'm spacing to prevent spammers)