Saturday, January 10, 2009

Sorry! Wayyyyy overdue update!

Hey everybody!
I'm so sorry for neglecting this blog! I had no idea what to say on here!
Umm what's new with me you might ask?
Well not much really, except I've decided I want to go bilateral for sure but when I asked surgeon about it and he came in room talking to me and I'm like "uhh write it down or slow down please" and he said "oh you don't understand me still?" I'm like "I do understand you but I can't reply by speaking" and he's like "oh you cant talk either?" what? Did he expect that the CI will miraclously restored my ability to listen and speak like hearing person? But anyways he said he want to order AVT therapy and he'll look for therapist that signs and that was 6 months ago! Still haven't heard anything from him ever since.
He said once I can listen and understand spoken language (I think I've came far enough? I can understand like 70-80% of what's being said if I know the subject if its only one person talking at a time toward me so I get extra help with lipreading.) And have ability to speak well (uhh? I think that's too much to ask for) then he will implant my other ear.
And he's saying things like I already got 80% of hearing with 1 implant (I disagree I feel like its 60% and its super annoying having one sided hearing and moving my head to hear something better and louder) and also new thing happened my nonimplanted ear ringing starting to get worse that sometime its so loud that its louder than my hearing with CI on in quiet evironment (only hear ac, water filter from aquarium, clock ticking tv volume on low etc) and if I lean my head against backside of lounge chair sound sounds muffled and quiet and if I sit on couch with my nonimplanted ear facing where tv is I will have hard time hearing tv clearly its frustrating and if I try to turn sensitivity up higher than 5 it'll hurt its too sensitive right now I think its because of my flu I'm having right now so I havent wore it for 2 weeks now and nobody respect my wish to talk little quieter or turn music down so I pop the coil off and in noisy evironment its too loud and I'm barely just starting to pick out few sounds from people at my table talking out of background noise so I rely heavily on lipreading which I sucked at it to start with..... I WANT MY BEAM PROGRAM BACK lol I miss it so much I totally regretted having it removed from my processor (brain fart that day perhaps?)
So I think it will really benefit me having other ear implanted since my nonimplanted ear's my better and most used ear growing up (dominant) it still is I get strong urges of wanting hear out of right side and it been almost a year now!
Plus I want to get rid of my residual hearing to get complete silent no loud screaming ringing in my ear lol.
And hearing in full surround sound not having to turn my head around to get better hearing UGH pain in the a........ butt (younger audience might be looking into this lol)
What do you suggest me to do? Because if he keep this expectation I'll never go bilateral. My mouth just don't cooperate with my brain maybe permament case of adult apraxia? Lol anyways
Also my bubblehead audiologist want me to learn to listen to multiple people talking at once (group setting) since I mastered at listening to one person speaking at a time while knowing the subject lol
Can hearing people even do that?
NO
Dumb!
Way too high of a expectation huh?

1 comment:

Jennifer Bruno Conde said...

Good luck with your fight to go bilateral. Amanda wants to go bilateral too.

You make a lot of good points. Keep on fighting for what you know is right for you!

Jennifer :-)